[HEADS UP] Ports Infrastructure Changes

Zhihao Yuan lichray at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 07:26:47 UTC 2011

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 5:29 PM, Henk van Oers <henk at signature.nl> wrote:

> From: Pav Lucistnik <pav at freebsd.org>
>
> Matthias Andree pí¹e v so 19. 03. 2011 v 09:52 +0100:
> [...]
>>>
>>> Where do you see the dividing line between web apps on one hand and on
>>> the other hand "http servers ... everything related to apache"?  IOW,
>>> how do I decide if I put a new port into www-webapps or into www-servers
>>> for its primary category?
>
>> Basically, everything that serves network is "server" and everything
>> that generates pages on these servers is "webapp".
>
> So: why is p5-Mojolicious in webapp, it serves network (main deployment).
> And it's a client too...

Not just p5-Mojolicious. Many webapps can be web servers, like Flask.
Even some unrelated packages can be www servers, like python, with
SimpleHTTPServer. And some www-clients can also be www-servers. For
example, opera. It's a client, server, email client, HTML-editor. You
can't just *separate* things into clients, servers, apps, and misc.

And also, during the development of the HTML5, there will be more and
more www-client ports can be used as servers, by using web socket. The
border of clients and servers will become fuzzy. We should not used a
C/S model to sort these ports.

That's why I suggest that to create a www-devel branch - you can
determined what a software is mainly designed for, but you can not
always determined what a software can be used as.

Zhihao Yuan