Compiling ports in a post-9.0-RELEASE world

Erwin Lansing erwin at lansing.dk
Wed Mar 16 10:12:05 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 09:39:38AM +0000, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:

> > Note that these 3 are not mutually exclusive.  The clang developers have
> > been very responsive on earlier bugs we found and they are usually fixed
> > quickly, so I'm sure that if real bugs in clang are found they will be
> > happy to hear about them.  Fixing ports to work with both gcc and clang
> > should also be a good target to reach for, but given the amount of ports
> > this is unrealistic to be finished before 9.0 is released.
>
> What will happen to ports in non-clang arches (sparc64, ia64) after 9.0R?

Good point I forgot to mention, the default compiler will of course
depend on architecture and FreeBSD version.  We'll have to see how many
ports will build with clang whether we want to change the default ports
compiler to clang, but even if we do we'll have to stay with gcc for
non-clang archs and older FreeBSD versions.

-erwin

--
Erwin Lansing                       (o_ _o)       http://droso.org
Ceterum censeo                   \\\_\   /_///
Carthaginem esse delendam        <____) (____>    erwin at lansing.dk