can make -j be used for ports?

Eitan Adler lists at eitanadler.com
Tue Mar 15 22:52:13 UTC 2011

> What is incorrect?

MAKE_JOBS_SAFE uses make -j on a single port (when in the WRKSRC
directory) but does *not* build multiple ports at the same time,

> It certainly wasn't clear to me that this is what the OP meant.  If you:
>
>  cd /usr/ports/www/apache22
>  make -j 3
>
> ...what do you expect to happen, and how many ports would you expect to be built at once?

What *would* happen is that make would try to build multiple ports at
once. This is not supported.

> (Building one port in parallel is supported, where the port itself is safe to do so; building many at the same time is not. )

This is what I said. This feature is automatic and does not require -j
specified.

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 5:44 PM, David Forsythe <dforsyth at freebsd.org> wrote:
>I had patches for this a couple of years ago when I worked on this
>problem for summer of code.  What I did back then is surely stale, but
>if people really want it, I'd be happy to take another stab at it.

I've seen that work: it looked quite good. Yes, I think this would be
very useful and I think a lot of people would want it :-).

--
Eitan Adler