Superfluous dependencies

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Sun Mar 13 18:16:02 UTC 2011

Charlie Kester wrote:

[...]

> A few minutes ago, I was answering a post on the forums, in which a user
> expressed surprise (and outrage) that the phpmyadmin port was installing
> libX11 and similar things on his server. By installing it myself and
> then using "pkg_tree -v" to examine the dependencies, I was able to
> narrow it down to two of the port's options that were ON by default.

I made a simple shell script similar to pkg_tree but for ports about
year ago.

http://freebsd.quip.cz/script/ports_tree.sh

It is very simple script showing full dependency tree for all listed
dependencies (not skipping already shown deps - portdependencytree.py
is not showing them again). This way, you can find what needs libtool
for example.

You can call it 'ports_tree.sh lang/php5', then it will show you all
dependencies (build + run), or you can use -b (build deps only) or -r
(run deps only)

example of build deps for Vim:

ports_tree.sh -b editors/vim
editors/vim
     converters/libiconv
         devel/libtool
     devel/gettext
         converters/libiconv
             devel/libtool
         devel/libtool

run deps for Vim:

ports_tree.sh -r editors/vim
editors/vim
     converters/libiconv
     devel/gettext
         converters/libiconv

Shown dependency tree is affected by make.conf / ports.conf, options etc.

Miroslav Lachman