FreeBSD needs fresh Blood!

Grzegorz Blach magik at roorback.net
Wed Mar 9 20:14:15 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 18:13, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Mar 2011, Warren Block wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 8 Mar 2011, Michel Talon wrote:
>
>>> My experience is that all FreeBSD ports tools are incredibly slow, be it
>>> portupgrade, portmaster, even the basic tools like pkg_version. Maybe it
>>> would help to recognize that such observations are perhaps not unrelated to
>>> the original poster comments.
>>
>> I don't understand what you mean by that last sentence.  OP was talking
>> about the difficulty of using or merging alternate ports trees, AFAIR. Sorry
>> about the topic drift; we can start a new thread if appropriate.
>
> And of course now I see it: the OP also mentioned the delay in rebuilding
> INDEX after merging ports trees.
>
> That was a problem back before the ports cluster built INDEX files for
> download, and there were Perl and other implementations that could rebuild a
> local index faster than the stock ports implementation.  Can't recall
> exactly what they were.  If still applicable, integrating those faster
> methods into the ports system would be a solid improvement.

Building INDEX is not essential in this thread, merging trees is
closer to subject,
but primary I want, that testing development version of ports will be simpler.

Please look at: 'Firefox 4 - Beta' threat:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2011-March/066353.html
some people don't known where they can find freebsd-gecko development repo.

Or at 'xorg-server 1.9.3 and 1.10.0' threat:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2011-March/066421.html
Martin wrote:
> I'll cleanup all the mess and commit all stuff to the xorg-dev repo. Maybe
> someone have intressing to test it.
but without any info where I can find xorg-dev repo,
How I can test new xorg, since I don't known where this repo is?