FreeBSD needs fresh Blood!

Alberto Villa avilla at freebsd.org
Sun Mar 6 18:36:06 UTC 2011

On Sunday 06 March 2011 18:35:10 b. f. wrote:
> It sounds like you are using the wrong tools. Although portsnap (which
> is not best suited for this purpose) has path arguments and an -l flag
> that can be used to add or preserve local changes, and both
portmaster
> and portupgrade have options to ignore certain ports or to substitute
> alternative dependencies, you shouldn't have to make use of them.
> Instead, you should probably be using CVS (or another version control
> system that can import CVS), which will make merging and reverting
> changes easier. And naturally you shouldn't run updating tools until
> you've modified your tree.

zfs should be mentioned as well. a tank/ports dataset with snapshots
and clones can make switching tree, rolling back and merging test ports
quite comfortable
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~avilla

Nasrudin walked into a teahouse and declaimed, "The moon is more
useful
than the sun."
	"Why?", he was asked.
	"Because at night we need the light more."