math/ggobi: compile error with clang

Rainer Hurling rhurlin at gwdg.de
Thu Jun 23 16:51:21 UTC 2011

I just discovered, that math/ggobi does not compile with clang, see:

http://pointyhat.freebsd.org/errorlogs/amd64-errorlogs/e.9-exp.20110616185105/ggobi-2.1.9.log

It seems, the main error is in 'line control' statement of
src/ggobi-data.c, l.45

#line 0 "data.gob"
static void ggobi_data_class_init (GGobiDataClass * c) G_GNUC_UNUSED;

The official cpp online docs on
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/cpp/Line-Control.html defines

#line linenum
linenum is a non-negative decimal integer constant. It specifies the
line number which should be reported for the following line of input.
Subsequent lines are counted from linenum.

It seems gcc accepts the 0 (zero) as valid, whilst clang produces an
error '#line directive requires a positive integer argument'.

What is the meaning of line 0 in this context? At line 1 (the first line
in src/data.gob) there is the initiation '%h{' for the whole file
contents. Does 0 mean, take the whole file?

Would it be correct to change value 0 into 1 (#line 1)? At least, gcc is
able to build that and it seems to work fine.

My system is compiled with gcc, so it would be nice, if someone would
give it a try with clang.

Many thanks in advance,
Rainer Hurling