Upgrading sshguard

andrew clarke mail at ozzmosis.com
Wed Jun 15 17:17:36 UTC 2011

Hi,

A recent FreeBSD ports change upgrades sshguard to 1.5.  I'm not sure
about other variants, but with sshguard-ipfw at least, from what I can
tell, installing the port erroneously comments-out the following
existing line from /etc/syslog.conf:

auth.info;authpriv.info                         | exec /usr/local/sbin/sshguard

To get sshguard-ipfw to work again you need to uncomment the above
line and restart syslogd, eg. "sudo service syslogd restart".

Incidentally version 1.5 is somewhat more "noisy" than the previous
version, sending this to /var/log/messages once every few hours:

Jun 16 01:00:00 blizzard sshguard[7655]: Got exit signal, flushing blocked addresses and exiting...
Jun 16 01:00:00 blizzard sshguard[8080]: Started successfully [(a,p,s)=(40, 420, 1200)], now ready to scan.

(obviously a separate issue to the syslog.conf problem above)

Regards
Andrew