GPC 2006 (Pascal) -- deprecated or "expired"??

Mikhail T. mi+thun at aldan.algebra.com
Mon Jun 6 01:38:12 UTC 2011

On 05.06.2011 12:43, Matthias Andree wrote:
> Let it rest.  You could have offered to maintain it, but you didn't.
This is nonsense. *I* don't care for *this* port. *I* wrote *my* last
Pascal program twenty years ago in 1991. My objections is to the
/policy/, which leads to the removal of perfectly-building ports, such
as lang/gpc (and databases/db2 before it) based on subjective decisions
of fallible humans.

This policy makes but a dent in the total size of the ports tree -- and
the associated costs of storage, bandwidth, and processing power. But it
is likely to cause great inconvenience to some user(s), who may some day
decide to upgrade their trusty old FreeBSD server to a trusty new
FreeBSD server only to discover, that the piece of software, that's of
some importance to them, is no longer available as a port.

And while we can't fix everything, what is broken, we should not be
preemptively removing, what is not.

    -mi