ports/142000: [patch] Wrong MAIL_GID when configuring mail/mailman for postfix MTA

Chris Rees crees at freebsd.org
Thu Jul 21 09:30:36 UTC 2011

Stuart Matthews wrote:
>  Hello,
>
>  What is the debate regarding this? "it appears that the value
>  of MAIL_GID is a matter for debate"
>
>  When choosing postfix in the mailman port config screen, mailman does
>  not work properly with postfix, as described in the original bug.
>
>  http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=142000&cat=ports

Hi Stuart,

The commit originally changing the GID to the 'wrong' value was at
[1], over four years ago.

I performed a cursory investigation of this at [2], which you are more
than welcome to unravel and come to the Correct Conclusion.

I would like to add a couple of disclaimers here though:

1) Mailman is unmaintained
2) I never intended to maintain mailman (I already maintain sympa -- I
can't look after two mailing list ports!)
3) My sole intention was to stop manually creating users in the port.

>From my commits, there has been no functional change to the end-result
of the port (i.e. MAIL_GID is still the same right now as it was
before I touched it).

I'm afraid that unless someone steps up to maintain the port and sort
this debate out, it will continue to rage.

If you are convinced that for your setup you know the right answer,
just stick MAIL_GID=nobody into /etc/make.conf and you'll be happy.

Please don't take this as negativity from me, but I'm afraid I simply
have not got the time to deal with this issue, however I will do
whatever is needed with people to 'get it right'. My concern was only
to get the pw commands out of pkg-\(de\)\?install.

Chris

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/mail/mailman/Makefile.diff?r1=1.68;r2=1.69;f=h

[2] http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-ports@freebsd.org/msg34281.html