cvs commit: ports UPDATING

Glen Barber glen.j.barber at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 04:41:47 UTC 2011

On 6/30/11 11:22 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
> This is not the first time this issue (ports doing the wrong thing if
> you try to build them while they are installed) has come up, and I've
> been thinking ... do we need something like a NO_REINSTALL flag that can
> be added to a port's Makefile to indicate the problem? I realize that in
> many cases the problem is better solved by fixing the real problem.
> However I think that there are likely situations like this where there
> is a legitimate problem that can only be overcome by removing the
> installed ports first.

I think it would be nice to have a
"I_KNOW_I_HAVE_THIS_PORT_INSTALLED_ALREADY_BUT_UPGRADE_IT_ANYWAY" flag
for situations that seem to be what caused this reply, unless I
misunderstand the cause of the UPDATING entry.  In either case, see below.

More specifically, I think it would be nice if
'PACKAGE_SITE=$mylocaltinderbox pkg_add <somepackage>' didn't complain
that I already have a prerequisite packages, though lesser-versioned
that is required for <somepackage> installed currently, while failing to
upgrade the prerequisite package when I know it's necessary for the
<somepackage> upgrade.

Maybe I've missed various flags in various manual pages - I would be
thrilled to be proven that this is the case.

--
Glen Barber