cvs commit: ports UPDATING

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jul 1 03:22:02 UTC 2011

On 06/30/2011 14:03, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
> stephen     2011-06-30 21:03:43 UTC
>
>    FreeBSD ports repository
>
>    Modified files:
>      .                    UPDATING
>    Log:
>    - Tell octave-forge* users to completely remove old ports before reinstalling.

This is not the first time this issue (ports doing the wrong thing if
you try to build them while they are installed) has come up, and I've
been thinking ... do we need something like a NO_REINSTALL flag that can
be added to a port's Makefile to indicate the problem? I realize that in
many cases the problem is better solved by fixing the real problem.
However I think that there are likely situations like this where there
is a legitimate problem that can only be overcome by removing the
installed ports first.

Is this idea worth pursuing? I have some ideas about how it should be
implemented but I'm curious what others think about the concept first.

Doug

			-- OK Go