bump of PORTREVISION mandatory?

Ulrich Spörlein uqs at spoerlein.net
Mon Jan 31 12:03:01 UTC 2011

On Thu, 27.01.2011 at 13:02:30 -0500, Eitan Adler wrote:
> > Do I need to bump PORTREVISION before I submit the updated port? Is
> > that mandatory?
> >

> PORTREVISION should only be changed if you need the users of a port to
> recompile the port.
> Typos and documentation typically don't require such a change.

PORTREVISION should be bumped, whenever the resulting binary package
changes (different checksums, etc.). As pkg-descr is part of the
package, yes this should have a PORTREVISION bump. OTOH this will
"force" all ports-user to rebuild the port, which surely is a waste for
the change to a desc. file that nobody looks at anyway.

So, choose wisely.

Uli