Very Important Note on HP LaserJet P1102 on FreeBSD

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Thu Jan 27 14:17:20 UTC 2011

Am 27.01.2011 13:20, schrieb Polytropon:
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 09:24:51 -0200, "Carlos A. M. dos Santos" <unixmania at gmail.com> wrote:
>> From my own experience, you will probably achieve much better results
>> from HP printers if you choose the network-enabled models (those whose
>> names have a "n" or "w" suffix), not the host-based ones.
>
> I can just encourage ANYONE who wants easy printing, be it
> at home or in the office, to STAY AWAY from USB printers.

USB isn't discriminating crap printers from the good ones.

Read the specs,
check how much memory a printer has,
how expensive consumables are (drum/toner kit, possible waste vessels, fuser if any)
if it understands command languages such as PCL-XL or PostScript.

I use a few LaserJets and OfficeJets non-networked (aka USB) connection and
things just work, however, all these talk PCL and/or PostScript, no GDI stuff.

> Networking printers give you much more flexibility and
> advantages, and even if their price tag is different from
> what you might know from the consumer crap shelf in the
> local store, they are worth their money.

True enough, but "network" isn't useful to tell the crap from the good ones
because it doesn't say anything if the printer uses the host to render the
pages, or can do that by itself.

> for home use. I'm using a HLP Laserjet 4000 duplex
> myself here at home for some years now, and it works
> PERFECTLY since first try - an experience NOT common
> to "modern" printers.

If you have sufficient room to set it up... :)

--
Matthias Andree