www/chromium MAINTAINER, was Re: chromium producing constant hdd access

Thomas Abthorpe tabthorpe at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jan 18 13:21:29 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 01:13:19PM +0100, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> Hi,
> Reference:
> > From:		Mark Linimon <linimon at lonesome.com>
> > Date:		Tue, 18 Jan 2011 00:48:50 +0000
> > Message-id:	<20110118004850.GB17292 at lonesome.com>
>
> Mark Linimon wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 08:12:40PM +0100, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> > > rene@ has ignored request to roll back.  If rene@ resigns,
> > > MAINTAINER would revert to ports at freebsd.org so others could fix
> > > FreeBSD's current ports/www/chromium
> >
> > Because of the legal questions surrounding chromium,
>
> I know nothing of that. Just that a month ago it compiled, now it won't.
>
> > portmgr will ensure
> > that it does not revert to ports@ :-)
> > mcl
>
> So how about:
> 	Revert to something that will compile, with no MAINTAINER.
> 	Or delete port ?
> 		A port that
> 			- wont build,
> 			- the maintainer won't fix,
> 			- has security issues,
> 			- is legaly problematic
> 			- ports@ is scared of inheriting
> 			- that we can't fix by adding a _DEPENDS etc
> 		seems a waste of time & name space,
>
> Cheers,
> Julian
<snip>

I suggest you subscribe to
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-chromium, and make
make your intentions known about what you can do to assist in getting a
more current version of Chromium tested, built and updated in ports.

Porting a browser as complex as Chromium is a lot of work, takes a lot
of time, and requires a lot of attention to detail.

A small group of us has been assisting Rene for a while now, and we have
decided it is now time to grow a FreeBSD Chromium Community.  Within
this community we are hoping to find testers, coders, helpers, coders,
people with a general interest in Chromium, and did I mention coders?

So please subscribe, make your inquiries, and as people come on board,
we will be able to do more to spread the word about Chromium for
FreeBSD.

Thomas

--
Thomas Abthorpe		| FreeBSD Committer