GPLv3 and LICENSE

Charlie Kester corky1951 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 5 18:07:04 UTC 2011

On Wed 05 Jan 2011 at 07:55:38 PST Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:
>Hello;
>
>I was just looking around FreeBSD's Wiki and I found a page
>where ports with GPLv3 license are listed:
>
>http://wiki.freebsd.org/PortsAndGPLv3
>
>While this list is necessarily incomplete, I would think
>the right place to write the license would be in the
>ports tree using the new LICENSE= tag.
>
>I only looked a few but it seems like most of the ports
>in that list don't set the value!
>
>I suggest that committers enforce a policy of tagging GPLv3 code when
>the port is updated.

I don't disagree, but we're still waiting for clear instructions on how
to use the LICENSE tag and related infrastructure.  There's nothing in
the Porter's Handbook yet.

There should probably be something in the main handbook too, so users
will know how to go about accepting or rejecting the various licenses.