Makefile for Emacs extension package

Sam Lin sam.lin4ml at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 21:36:26 UTC 2011

Happy New Year.

I am trying to port a Emacs extension package ESS (Emacs Speaks Statistics;
[http://ess.r-project.org/]) and have been reading through the Porter's
Handbook for the last couple weeks but still do not quite understand the
contents, and hope I could please have some advice on editing the Makefile.

I am managing to get my port to automatically add a few statements in .emacs
for GNU Emacs AND in init.el for XEmacs when a user uses "make install" to
add the port so that this mode is already loaded when the user launches GNU
Emacs/XEmacs. To do this I think I need to put something in my Makefile...
probably some special rules under "do-install" or "post-patch" before
".include <bsd.port.mk>"? If so then what do I put? If not then what should
I do?

I have looked at some existing emacs package e.g. deskutils/org-mode.el6 (
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/deskutils/org-mode.el6/Makefile?rev=1.8)
but seems they do not have any options or statements in their Makefile to do
similar task (if I understand the Makefile for the org-mode port). And
unfortunately in the Porter's Handbook settings regarding Emacs appears yet
to be written (page 68 as of this writing; [
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/using-emacs.html]
).

Regards,
Sam