Installing FreeBSD from iso without CD, and one more question

majid fooladpour majid4466 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 12:46:24 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I am new to FreeBSD and I have a few questions which may or may not be
related directly to ports.

I have downloaded FreeBSD-8.1-RELEASE-i386-bootonly.iso, is there
anyway to install FreeBSD with this on a Flash memory (without burning
a CD)?
- I have installed FreeBSD 6.2 from a bootable CD,
- I know how to mount the usb flash in FreeBSD 6.2
- I have Windows XP on another hard drive and I can open the iso file
inin there with 7zip and extract the files/folders to rearrange them
and save the result back to flash disk.

I thought when you install a *nix like system you are ready to go with
all you need for web development. This does not seem to be true. I
need to set up a LAMP environment. In Windows I got that in two steps:
1. Downloaded XAMPP from Apache Friends and installed (and got Apache
+ PHP + MySQL),
2. Downloaded Notepad++ and installed
What should I do in FreeBSD to get the same envo? - And I really want
the ability to have debugging on PHP which I missed on Windows.

Thanks,
Majid