ports-mgmt/portconf , ports-mgmt/portmaster and make args

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jan 1 01:55:59 UTC 2011

On 12/31/2010 02:51, Alex Dupre wrote:
> Package support in portmaster is a bit limited ATM, for example it
> installs build dendencies even if it find an already compiled
> package.

I think I would take issue with "limited." :) Yes, the behavior you're
describing is sub-optimal, and I'm looking at improving it, hopefully
for the next version. However the behavior is rooted in the fact that
without the -PP|--packages-only option building the port is a fallback
when no package is found, which in my case is almost all the time. That
doesn't prevent it from working well for installing the packages you
actually need, even if it is installing more than you actually need.

That said, I currently have support for improving the use of portmaster
in packages-only mode, so you can look for this to improve as time goes
along.

Doug

			-- OK Go