Call for Testers: VirtualBox 4.0.4

Bernhard Froehlich decke at FreeBSD.org
Fri Feb 18 14:21:52 UTC 2011

Hi Testers.

A few of you have probably wondered what happened to our VirtualBox
efforts for FreeBSD. Well it took a bit longer then expected and a few
problems were found that needed to be resolved first but most of the
things are looking fine now and almost all patches have been pushed
upstream with 4.0.4 so here we are now.

We will continue to work on VirtualBox for FreeBSD and upstream is also
very helpful to us but we could need a few more hands to better keep up
with the work and especially improve and fix the Guest Additions. So if
you want to help please contact us or have a look at our Todo list.

This result wouldn't have been possible without the continuous help of
the VirtualBox Developers and a lot of people from the FreeBSD
community! (names in alphabetical order and probably missed a few,
sorry
for that!)

- Alexander Eichner
- Anonymous
- Beat Gätzi
- Bernhard Fröhlich
- crsd
- DomiX
- Doug Barton
- Grzegorz Blach
- Hans Petter Selasky
- Julian Stacey
- Jung-uk Kim
- Jürgen Lock
- Klaus Espenlaub
- Martin Wilke
- Mattia Rossi
- Michael Butler
- Sean C. Farley
- Steve Wills
- tombsd
- Vivek Khera
- well-wisher
- Wietse Venema
- Yuri
- many more from emulation@

Please when testing this ports backup all your virtual machines first.
Also please build the port with DEBUG option enabled and send us the
logfile when any VM crashes. Without them it's very hard to figure out
what went wrong.

Highlights with 4.0:
- USB support (by Hans Petter Selasky)
- Asynchronous I/O
- Guest additions got startscripts and a integration into the desktop
environments
- www/phpvirtualbox updated to 4.0-3

Changelog for 4.0:
- http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Changelog

Short configuration help:
- http://wiki.freebsd.org/VirtualBox

Todo List:
- http://wiki.freebsd.org/VirtualBox/ToDo

http://home.bluelife.at/ports/virtualbox-cft-20110218.tar.gz

Thanks and good luck,
Bernhard, on behalf of the FreeBSD Vbox Team

--
Bernhard Froehlich
http://www.bluelife.at/