fixing the vulnerability in linux-f10-pango-1.22.3_1

Jan Henrik Sylvester me at janh.de
Mon Feb 14 09:35:24 UTC 2011

On 01/-10/-28163 20:59, Matthias Andree wrote:
> Am 13.02.2011 22:53, schrieb Tom Uffner:
>> is there any point in trying to update linux-f10-pango to address this
>> vulnerability?
>>
>> Affected package: linux-f10-pango-1.22.3_1
>> Type of problem: pango -- integer overflow.
>> Reference:
>> <http://portaudit.FreeBSD.org/4b172278-3f46-11de-becb-001cc0377035.html>
>>
>> I realize that I can install it w/ DISABLE_VULNERABILITIES. but I hate
>> having known exploits on my system&  not installing it breaks flashplugin
>> and acroread (among others).
>>
>> I've never tried to create or modify a linux emulation port before; so I'm
>> wondering just how annoying&  tedious it's going to be?
>>
>> it looks like there are no Fedora 10 RPMs of pango>  1.24 so it would
>> probably involve finding an F10 box and building one from source.
>
> Fedora 10 hasn't been supported for over a year now (EOL Mid December
> 2009), chances are, however, that newer versions of the system can build
> an RPM that would fit F10.
>
> There are online build services (for instance by/for openSUSE, starts
> with Fedora 12 however), if you find a release that is close enough in
> other shared library versions, that might help.
>
> Backporting just a security fix, if a reliable and reasonable patch
> exists, might be an easier option because you can take F10's 1.22.3
> *source* RPM, add the security patch, and rebuild (see below).

This is how far I have looked into it: RHEL/CentOS 5 has an even older
version of pango. Of course, there is a patch for that vulnerability in
the src-rpm of RHEL 5. If you use --ignore-whitespace for patch, the
RHEL 5 patch applies to the pango version in Fedora 10. Except for
whitespace changes, the code in question has not changed much between
the RHEL 5 and the Fedora 10 version. Probably, the patch fixes the
vulnerability for us, too.

The easiest way would probably be:

- Take the src-rpm of the pango version in RHEL 5.
- Extract the patch from it: pango-glyphstring.patch-1.14.9-5.el5_3
- Extract the src-rpm of pango-1.22.3 from Fedora 10.
- Apply the RHEL 5 patch with --ignore-whitespace.
- Diff for creating a patch that applies without --ignore-whitespace.
- Bump version number and repackge a src-rpm for Fedora 10 with the new
patch.
- Build it on a clean Fedora 10 system.

There is one more problem to solve:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-emulation/2010-December/008264.html

That mail go unanswered (at least as far as the mailing list archive
goes). Probably, the procedure above would have to be put into a shell
script for a willing commiter to repeat. Every time this vulnerability
comes up at ports@ or emulation@, some commitor ask for a (trusted) rpm
to fix it. Thus, there might be one.

For me, the real question is: Considering the age of Fedora 10 and the
time it has not been supported anymore, it is likely that there are more
vulnerabilities in our Linux-f10 framework that are not documented in
our vulnerability database. Does fixing the pango vulnerability really
make the Linux emulation save? (Is it worse the it?)

Cheers,
Jan Henrik