how to bootstrap libtool?

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed Feb 9 19:40:35 UTC 2011

On Feb 9, 2011, at 11:14 AM, Michael Scheidell wrote:
>> The problem with != is that is is evaluated in a subshell regardless of whether the results are needed, and it happens while the Makefile is first being read, before it tries to figure out which targets need to be processed.  This is why setting libnet in BUILD_DEPENDS isn't being processed until after these commands are run (or fail to run, as above).
>
> which is useless information to me.  don't know why, been doing freebsd for 10 years, been a port maintainer for.. ? 4? 5? don't remember.
>
> still that is useless information, and doesn't make any sense.
>
> doesn't tell me what,why, how, or when to replace what lines with what alternatives.
>
> yes, I can hard code it, but I don't really understand what those (inherited lines) actually do.

OK.  If you don't understand make, and you aren't willing to look at the documentation, then it's hardly surprising that you're having problems figuring things out.

Engineers solve problems.  Managers create problems.
Senior management exists to decide *which* problems management ought to create.

(In this particular case, it seems like you ought to delegate the problem to an engineer who has the knowledge to solve it.  If I get some free time, I'll see what I can do, otherwise someone else might volunteer....)

Regards,
--
-Chuck