What ports require this port?

Dan Langille dan at langille.org
Mon Feb 7 20:13:38 UTC 2011

On Mon, February 7, 2011 11:06 am, Dominic Fandrey wrote:
> On 07/02/2011 03:01, b. f. wrote:
>>> Over the weekend, a new feature was added to FreshPorts BETA.  A port
>>> now lists all ports that require it.  This code will eventually move to
>>> production after it's been running on on the beta site for a while.
>>>
>>> Notes:
>>>
>>> * The code uses the output of make -V RUN_DEPENDS -V LIB_DEPENDS -V
>>> BUILD_DEPENDS
>>
>> If you're going to include BUILD_DEPENDS, then you should also use -V
>> PATCH_DEPENDS -V FETCH_DEPENDS.
>
> Maybe it should be split into "The package requires" only listing the
> INSTALL_DEPENDS and "The port requires" listing all dependencies.

Your post, combined with new information, has raised a question.

Consider 'make build-depends-list' and 'make run-depends-list' for
devel/glib20:

$ make build-depends-list
/usr/ports/devel/gettext
/usr/ports/devel/gmake
/usr/ports/devel/libtool
/usr/ports/devel/pcre
/usr/ports/devel/pkg-config
/usr/ports/lang/perl5.8
/usr/ports/lang/python26

$ make run-depends-list
/usr/ports/devel/gettext
/usr/ports/devel/pcre
/usr/ports/devel/pkg-config
/usr/ports/lang/perl5.8
/usr/ports/lang/python26

The run-depends-list contains all of the information from LIB_DEPENDS and
RUN_DEPENDS.  The build-depends-list includes all of BUILD_DEPENDS,
PATCH_DEPENDS, FETCH_DEPENDS, and EXTRACT_DEPENDS.

I am tempted to alter FreshPorts and abandon all *_DEPENDS and use just
run-depends-list and build-depends-list.

How much value is there is having all of this information separated into
individual _DEPENDS?

--
Dan Langille -- http://langille.org/