pkg_info -g not working for unprivileged user + unreadable files

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Mon Feb 7 07:53:01 UTC 2011

flz,

In r206043 you converted fexists() in src/lib/libpkg/file.c to use
open() instead of lstat(). Unfortunately this has the side effect of
breaking 'pkg_info -g' for unprivileged users with files that have no +r
bits. For example:

pkg_info -g sudo-1.7.4.6
Information for sudo-1.7.4.6:

Mismatched Checksums:
pkg_info: /usr/local/bin/sudo doesn't exist
pkg_info: /usr/local/bin/sudoedit doesn't exist
pkg_info: /usr/local/bin/sudoreplay doesn't exist
pkg_info: /usr/local/sbin/visudo doesn't exist

Reverting your change produces the expected behavior. So my questions
are, why was the change made, what are its benefits, and how can we fix
this problem?  :)

Thanks,

Doug

			-- OK Go