policy on having the same routines in different library archives?

b. f. bf1783 at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 2 13:43:46 UTC 2011

> I can see benefits and disadvantages of having same
> routines in different libraries. Advantages are
> that a user can choose to only install Slatec,
> with no Blas, and that no fine tuning of the
> distribution is required.
> Disadvantages could be extra size and potential
> for confusion, e.g. when linking against both
> libraries.
>
>Is there a FreeBSD ports policy on this?

The situation is not unique to these two ports, and there is no
blanket policy, other than a general preference for shared libraries
and arranging things so as to reuse as much code as possible, and to
retain flexibility.  The decision about which routines to include
depends upon how we want to use slatec.  I'll look at this when I add
your port, which I'm going to do now that the binutils changes have
been made. Just because these routines are present doesn't necessarily
mean that dependent ports have to use them.

b.