Problem with ldconfig detecting libraries installed by devel/gdcm

Stephen Montgomery-Smith stephen at missouri.edu
Mon Dec 26 19:28:56 UTC 2011

I want to create a port that uses devel/gdcm as a dependency.  But writing:
LIB_DEPENDS+=   gdcmCommon:${PORTSDIR}/devel/gdcm
doesn't work.  It does build the port, but it fails to detect that the
port is installed.

I notice that when I type:
ldconfig -r | grep gdcm
that it doesn't find the installed libraries.  But this can be fixed by
doing
ln -s libgdcmCommon.so.2.0.18 libgdcmCommon.so.2
Note that the devel/gdmc port only installs
libgdcmCommon.so.2.0.18 libgdcmCommon.so.2.0    libgdcmCommon.so

I contacted the port maintainer a few days ago, and this email is copied
to him.  But I would also like to submit a PR that includes a fix so
that his job is easier.

But I am unsure what is the "officially correct" way to fix this?  Is it
a bug in ldconfig?  Or should the port create these links?  Or were the
original writers of gdcm incorrect when the specify a major version
number that includes a period?

Thanks, Stephen