Fwd: Lousy timekeeping in VirtualBox 4.0.14

Sean C. Farley scf at FreeBSD.org
Tue Dec 20 01:41:49 UTC 2011

On Thu, 15 Dec 2011, Larry Rosenman wrote:

> I've set up VirtualBox 4.0.14 on my FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT (r228498)
> box, and have a FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT VM running underneath it.
>
> While the VM is running, it doesn't keep time worth a flip.
>
> This is even with the VirtualBox-Additions in it.
>
> 1) is this expected/known?
> 2) What can we do to fix it?
>
> What diagnostics do you need?
>
> I *CAN* provide ssh access to both the host and the guest.

I recall two things that caused problems for me in the past.  One was
running a VM in a Linux host that caused havoc on the time under load.
My only "solution" was to disable PowerNow! in the BIOS.  The second was
on a WinXP host which was fixed, if I recall correctly, by changing the
timecounter (kern.timecounter.hardware).  I think I set it to HPET or
ACPI-*.

I hope one of those helps.

Sean
--