RUN_DEPENDS for python based port

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sat Dec 17 09:07:00 UTC 2011

On 17/12/2011 07:54, Christer Edwards wrote:
> I'm not sure if I've done the RUN_DEPENDS properly, because when I try
> to 'make' the port, it tries running the salt tool and complains about
> missing python modules. The modules are of course provided by the
> depends, but they don't get installed if they're missing.

If your port runs any programs or uses modules or libraries during the
building phase, then those should be listed as BUILD_DEPENDS.  Any
programs, modules or libraries that are required after the program has
been installed (think: installing from a package) should be listed in
RUN_DEPENDS.

It is not at all unusual for the RUN_DEPENDS and BUILD_DEPENDS lists to
contain many items in common.  In fact, this is a fairly common idiom:

BUILD_DEPENDS = foo:${PORTSDIR}/bar/foo
RUN_DEPENDS:=	${BUILD_DEPENDS}

Note the use of ':=' -- that prevents RUN_DEPENDS being polluted by
spurious other build-time only dependencies introduced by some USE_BAR
knobs.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3