Global and User package database

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Thu Dec 15 21:06:05 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 02:10:57PM -0500, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:
> Dear All ,
>

> In the new PkgNG :
>
> https://github.com/pkgng/pkgng/blob/master/pkg/add.c
>

> the following statement is written :
>
>         if (geteuid() != 0) {
>                 warnx("adding packages can only be done as root");
>                 return (EX_NOPERM);
>         }
>

> Instead of the above statement , is it possible to use a statement
> as follows ( which it may be defined as a function to be called from all
> the related
> functions / programs ) :
>

>         if (geteuid() == 0) {
>
>              package_db_path = ... global path name ... , etc. ;
>

>              PKGDB_PLACE  =  PKGDB_DEFAULT ...  etc.
>

>         } else
>              {
>

>              package_db_path = ... local path name , ie.
>                  in $HOME about user path name ... , etc. ;
>
>               PKGDB_PLACE  =  PKGDB_USER ... etc.
>
>               }
>
>         if (pkgdb_open(&db, PKGDB_PLACE) != EPKG_OK) {
>                  return (EX_IOERR);
>         }
>

> ( Replace PKGDB_PLACE by a suitable name ... )
>

> In that way , it will be possible to install packages into user home
> directory ,
> instead of global package directory .
>
> For security concerns , user-installed packages will not be usable globally
> , or
> convenient only for the user .
>

> Thank you very much .
>
> Mehmet Erol Sanliturk

This is an interesting idea, but it deserves more thinking about it, because it
could have more impacts.

Could you please fill an issue on the github so that we won't forget the idea
and will be able to discuss it.

I don't think we will propose that feature for 1.0 but maybe it could be
discussed for 2.0 :)

regards,
Bapt