Clicking URLs with acroread8

Hiroki Sato hrs at FreeBSD.org
Tue Dec 13 05:52:44 UTC 2011

Doug Barton <dougb at FreeBSD.org> wrote
  in <4EE6DCE1.5090400 at FreeBSD.org>:

do> On 12/09/2011 16:14, Doug Barton wrote:
do> > I receive PDF documents with URLs that I need to click, and so I would
do> > like to get that working in acroread8. I symlink'ed firefox into
do> > /compat/linux/usr/local/bin, and set the preferences in acroread
do> > accordingly. That got me from a "firefox not found" error to this,
do> > printed out in the terminal:
do> >
do> > libfam.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
do> > Failed to load module: /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgiofam.so
do> >
do> > Since I have that lib installed as a result of the linux-base port, I
do> > assume that what is missing is something that it depends on.
do> >
do> > Any help resolving this is welcome.
do> >
do> > Alternatively, if I could extract the URL from the link, that'd be
do> > awesome too. :)
do>
do> I tried everyone's suggestions, no luck.
do>
do> Adding the gamin port prevents the error, but doesn't make the url
do> clicking work.
do>
do> I tried an sh version of Sean's script, caused my system to lock up
do> completely.
do>
do> I tried 'export LD_LIBRARY_PATH='' ; acroread8 file.pdf' and got a long
do> wristwatch icon, but never any actual result.

 Hmm, can you see what happens by specifying a script which contains
 the following in the browser command field and clicking a URL, and
 then invoking firefox at command line prompt with the arguments and
 the environment variables found in /tmp/env.log?

 #!/bin/sh
 (echo "$@"; env ) > /tmp/env.log

 I think by doing it we can see whether browser invocation works or
 not.

-- Hiroki