lang/gcc46

b. f. bf1783 at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 13 00:11:23 UTC 2011

> > We have lang/gcc already. This port is created for perferred gcc releases
> > (4.6.2 currently). What we're waiting for is a bsd.gcc.mk update to allow
> > users build ports with lang/gcc instead of lang/gcc46.
>
> Ahh. I see the issue. I have not looked at bsd.gcc.mk, but it does not
> seem like this should be too difficult. Just a matter of the right
> person having the time. Would ports specifying gcc46 need to be
> touched?

The solution to a great many problems is "a matter of the right person
having the time".

Gerald had planned to do this after the ports tree had been completely
unfrozen. It is likely that only a few dependent ports will have to be
changed. You can make this change now, simply by removing lang/gcc46
and installing lang/gcc, and then rebuilding all dependent ports (this
last step may not be necessary in many cases, but it is better to be
safe).  This may result in some false accounting of dependencies in
your package database, but you can alter this if you need to, or use
one of the alternative dependency accounting mechanisms in portmaster
or portupgrade.

Or you can try something like the attached patch, which will fix the
dependency accounting -- but you will then have to replace
_GCC_BUILD_DEPENDS with _GCC_PORT_DEPENDS (the latter will then be a
misnomer) in math/atlas, math/atlas-devel, math/gotoblas, math/R,
net-p2p/eiskaltdcpp-* (and soon perhaps also lang/libobjc2, if it is
altered to use USE_GCC, which seems likely).  Also, you will have to
patch the CSUFF lines in print/pdftk.  Gerald's eventual changes will
probably be similar, but cleaner.  For example, he may change the
names to more accurately reflect their new roles, and define a
variable indicating which directory contains the shared libraries
needed at runtime, for the benefit of the aforementioned ports,
french/aster, graphics/visionworkbench, etc., so that they are less
likely to require modifications if the internals of bsd.gcc.mk change
again.

b.