Clicking URLs with acroread8

Sean C. Farley scf at FreeBSD.org
Sun Dec 11 20:31:59 UTC 2011

On Fri, 9 Dec 2011, Doug Barton wrote:

> I receive PDF documents with URLs that I need to click, and so I would
> like to get that working in acroread8. I symlink'ed firefox into
> /compat/linux/usr/local/bin, and set the preferences in acroread
> accordingly. That got me from a "firefox not found" error to this,
> printed out in the terminal:
>
> libfam.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> Failed to load module: /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgiofam.so
>
> Since I have that lib installed as a result of the linux-base port, I
> assume that what is missing is something that it depends on.
>
> Any help resolving this is welcome.
>
> Alternatively, if I could extract the URL from the link, that'd be
> awesome too. :)

I am not sure if this will help your problem, but here is my fix.  I
wrote a wrapper script around /usr/local/bin/firefox:

--------------------------------------
#!/usr/local/bin/zsh -e

# Allow firefox to be executed from a Linux application such as Acrobat Reader
# 8.  Acrobat Reader 9 does not appear to need this.
unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH

/usr/local/bin/firefox "${@}" &!

There is a lot more junk in mine, but this allows me to click on links
within a PDF.

Sean
--
scf at FreeBSD.org