Port: multimedia/handbrake

Rod Person rodperson at rodperson.com
Wed Dec 7 12:46:01 UTC 2011

On Tue, 6 Dec 2011 21:23:08 -0800
Kevin Oberman <kob6558 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 4:43 AM, Chris Rees <crees at freebsd.org> wrote:
> > On 29 November 2011 11:21,  <q000te at googlemail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> the version of HandBrake in the ports is outdated and can not be
> >> build under amd64.
> >>
> >> With the patches from http://www.bpsw.biz/handbrake-freebsd/ it is
> >> possible to build the current version (0.9.5) on amd64 (8.1 and
> >> 8.2 tested). I assume that this also works on i386, but did not
> >> test it.
> >>
> >> Can the Patches be integrated into the port please?
> >>
> >> Direct URL:
> >> http://www.bpsw.biz/handbrake-freebsd/download/handbrake-
> >> freebsd-0.9.5.tgz
> >>
> >> Disclosure:  I did not write them.
> >
> > I'll have a look later today, if no-one beats me to it.
> >
> > For future reference, patches sometimes get 'lost' in this mailing
> > list, better to send a PR.
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/send-pr.html
>
> I have been working on getting Handbrake 0.9.5 to build on FreeBSD for
> some time. I had resolved a number of issues, but had no luck with
> some assembler issues in the ffmpeg portion.
>
> I am working on converting this work to a FreeBSD port Looks
> straight-forward, but no promises. I'll report on success (or failure)
> and submit a PR to get the port updated it that appears to be
> appropriate. I have maintained several ports over the years and still
> maintain one, so I have some experience with porting, but will hardly
> claim to be an expert. I suspect you have more expertise than I do,
> Chris, so feel free to take it over.
>
> Thanks for getting this out so others can use it!

I just wanted to let you guys know that I was able to build this port
with no problem on 9.0 RC2 AMD64, after I either changed the download
location and some of the names (tar.gz, to tar.bz2 in some cases), or
fetched the source files manually.

After building, I even used a script I created for the prior version to
batch convert about 100 avi to a format usable on stand alone DVD
players with no issues.

--
Rod