Linux compatibility with more than one Linux installed?

Zhihao Yuan lichray at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 14:05:01 UTC 2011

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 7:45 AM, RW <rwmaillists at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Dec 2011 06:29:03 -0600
> Zhihao Yuan wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 6:21 AM, RW <rwmaillists at googlemail.com> wrote:

>> > Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that it was a
>> > fairly thin emulation layer on top of the FreeBSD kernel. Has
>> > something changed?
>>
>> To Linux program, there is no "emulation layer". This technology
>> should be called "extended ELF lookup table", and has nothing to do
>> with emulation.
>
> It's not emulation in the narrow sense that vmware is emulation and
> wine isn't, but it certainly is emulation within the normal sense or the
> word. My dictionary defines emulate as "imitate zealously".
>
> But what I was getting at was the statement "linuxulator is a Linux
> kernel running as a FreeBSD kernel module" which I'm guessing now you
> didn't mean literally.

FreeBSD handbook:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/linuxemu-advanced.html

"In effect, there is a Linux kernel in the FreeBSD kernel; the various
underlying functions that implement all of the services provided by
the kernel are identical to both the FreeBSD system call table
entries, and the Linux system call table entries: file system
operations, virtual memory operations, signal delivery, System V IPC,
etc..."

So, if you define a Linux kernel as "every thing written by Linus and
his followers", then I'm wrong; but if you agree that "Android is not
GNU but it does run a Linux kernel", then I'm probably right.

Zhihao Yuan, nickname lichray