Linux compatibility with more than one Linux installed?

Tue Dec 6 11:23:20 UTC 2011

Hi,

this description looks a little bit short to me. A more detailed description is available at http://www.Leidinger.net/blog/2010/09/28/the-freebsd-linuxulator-explained-for-users/

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Send via an Android device, please forgive brevity and typographic and spelling errors. Zhihao Yuan <lichray at gmail.com> hat geschrieben:On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 3:53 AM, Thomas Mueller
<mueller6727 at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>> The X server has a unix socket somewhere in /tmp. Normally this is used instead of a TCP connection to the localhost. You need to change the DISPLAY
>> env-variable to use a TCP connection, or you need o make the unix socket available to the chrooted linux-env.
>
>> The linuxulator in FreeBSD is nearly linux 2.6.16 compatible. We lack inotify and epoll support which the 2.6.16 kernel normally supports. If your system does
>> not depend upon inotify, epoll and anything newer than 2.6.16, it should work. If you give it a try, please report success or failure to
>> emulation at FreeBSD.org.
>
>> Bye,
>> Alexander.
>
> Now I might have something to try, but it is very unlikely that I would build a Linux kernel <= 2.6.16, especially with new hardware that might need the latest drivers.  I will primarily want to run Linux natively rather than under FreeBSD.
>
> I think emulators/linux_dist-gentoo-stage3 and emulators/linux_base-gentoo-stage3 must use kernel far beyond 2.6.16.
>
> But I think, when chrooting into Linux from FreeBSD, FreeBSD kernel is the one in effect.

Not really. The actual thing is, linuxulator is a Linux kernel running
as a FreeBSD kernel module. The only thing FreeBSD kernel do is to
identify the Linux program and to pass it to the Linux kernel. To the
Linux programs inside a GNU chroot enviroment, they think they are
running inside a Linux box and actually they are running inside a
Linux box. To the Linux programs running under a FreeBSD base, they
may identify that the base is not GNU by invoking some external
programs like `uname`. However, we can replace their sh with
/compat/linux/bin/sh, so that they are blind again.

> Tom

Zhihao Yuan, nickname lichray