Linux compatibility with more than one Linux installed?

Thomas Mueller mueller6727 at bellsouth.net
Thu Dec 1 11:06:19 UTC 2011

> The linux-base port is supposed to provide good integration into FreeBSD. Ideally the integration is seamless.

> The linux-dist ports provide a complete linux environment. You chroot into it and you have a complete linux system. You can compile linux binaries inside the
> +linux-dist. You can not do this with the linux-base.

> Bye,
> Alexander.

So I guess that's the fundamental difference between linux-base installed to /compat/linux, and linux-dist?

So when I build my Linux installation, then I suppose I can mount that partition and chroot into it?

Even as nonroot?  Even run X Window applications?

I think on some platforms, chroot is root-only, but running

ls -l /usr/sbin/chroot in FreeBSD 9.0-RC2

-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  7736 Nov 22 11:08 /usr/sbin/chroot

Tom