Python min version bumped from 2.4+ to 2.5+

Ruslan Mahmatkhanov cvs-src at yandex.ru
Tue Aug 30 20:25:57 UTC 2011

Greg Larkin wrote on 31.08.2011 00:07:

> On 8/30/11 10:26 AM, Ruslan Mahmatkhanov wrote:
>> Greg Larkin wrote on 30.08.2011 17:56:

>>> Hi Ruslan,
>>
>> Hi Greg
>>

>>> Ok, thank you for the explanation.  Shall I mark python24 for removal
>>> from the tree or file a PR for python@ to do it?
>>
>> It's not so easy actually, since we have many ports in the tree that
>> still depend on 2.4 (notably all that zope/plone stuff) and i believe it
>> was the reason why python24 still not be removed in the first place.
>> I do some work about eliminating python24 usage in the tree (yesterdays
>> py-pysqlite2x stuff - one of it), but it's not that fast. I also working
>> on porting zope2.13/plone4 (that supports python 2.6 and 2.7) and i'm
>> planing to finish it this weekend after proper testing. After that we
>> can deprecate/remove existing zope/plone (not longer supported upstream).
>
> Ok, it's a bigger job than I realized!
>

>>> FYI, I have been running tinderbox builds with PYTHON_VERSION and
>>> PYTHON_DEFAULT_VERSION set to python2.4, python2.5, etc. to find out if
>>> ports with USE_PYTHON=yes need to be constrained a bit more.
>>
>> Yes, there is a lot of work. We have USE_PYTHON with bogus values like
>> 1.5+, 1.6+, 2.0+ etc :). And most of python ports will not work with
>> python3x so they should be constrained with -2.7 too.
>
> Do you think it's helpful then to run these builds with different Python
> versions enforced?  I thought that getting the version ranges in the
> USE_PYTHON variable tightened up might help reduce the number of folks
> who run into build problems.  I would like to do the same thing with
> Perl, GCC, and others.

I, personally, believe that this almost can't help to identify
version-specific problems, since commonly there is almost no build
problems on different python versions (it's rarely when setup.py
actually checking which python version it was run with). The problems
arises on runtime stage, when apps starting to import modules, that may
not exist in this particular python version or that installed by missing
dependencies, etc. Such problems may be identified only with manual
checking/greping/app docs reading. But this is just my point.
You'd better to ask Martin - he is committer that skilled with python
stuff in ports, and i'm not proper person to take responsibility for
decisions like that :). I just can to sound my point on this. However,
it definitely will help to identify gcc version-specific build problems.

--
Regards,
Ruslan

Tinderboxing kills... the drives.