Python min version bumped from 2.4+ to 2.5+

Greg Larkin glarkin at FreeBSD.org
Tue Aug 30 13:56:54 UTC 2011

On 8/30/11 9:38 AM, Ruslan Mahmatkhanov wrote:
> Greg Larkin wrote on 30.08.2011 17:05:
>>
>> Hi Martin,
>>
>> I have a question about a commit you made in February 2011:
>> http://www.freshports.org/commit.php?message_id=201102250750.p1P7ofDg016541@repoman.freebsd.org&files=yes
>>

>> Part of the commit changed:
>>
>> USE_PYTHON=    2.4+

>> USE_PYTHON=    2.5+
>>
>> Was there a specific reason for doing so?  I am running various
>> tinderbox builds to check on port usage of the USE_PYTHON variable, and
>> I noticed that devel/py-setuptools no longer builds if Python 2.4 is
>> selected.
>>
>> I'd like to restore that capability, but before I send a PR, I wanted to
>> check with you first.
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Greg
>> - --
>> Greg Larkin
>>
>> http://www.FreeBSD.org/           - The Power To Serve
>> http://www.sourcehosting.net/     - Ready. Set. Code.
>> http://twitter.com/cpucycle/      - Follow you, follow me
>
> I'm sorry for sail in, but i think that the reason is that python24 is
> reached it's EOL long time ago. Actually the only supported python
> releases atm according to python.org are - 2.7.2 and 3.2.1, and
> developers highly encourages the users to move to this versions.
>
> 2.5 and 2.6 are in security-fix-only mode, there will be no ANY releases
> for this branches after October 2011 and October 2013 respectively,
> while 2.4 does not get security-fixes even.
>
> There is also this answer from Martin in this pr:
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/155526:
>
> python24 goes to the end of month, this port is on the todo for removal

Hi Ruslan,

Ok, thank you for the explanation.  Shall I mark python24 for removal
from the tree or file a PR for python@ to do it?

FYI, I have been running tinderbox builds with PYTHON_VERSION and
PYTHON_DEFAULT_VERSION set to python2.4, python2.5, etc. to find out if
ports with USE_PYTHON=yes need to be constrained a bit more.

I figured that python2.4 was supported since it was still in the tree
and wasn't marked for removal yet, but I admin that I didn't check
python.org for confirmation.

Regards,
Greg
- --