Python min version bumped from 2.4+ to 2.5+

Ruslan Mahmatkhanov cvs-src at yandex.ru
Tue Aug 30 13:38:08 UTC 2011

Greg Larkin wrote on 30.08.2011 17:05:

> Hi Martin,
>
> I have a question about a commit you made in February 2011:
> http://www.freshports.org/commit.php?message_id=201102250750.p1P7ofDg016541@repoman.freebsd.org&files=yes
>
> Part of the commit changed:
>
> USE_PYTHON=	2.4+

> USE_PYTHON=	2.5+
>
> Was there a specific reason for doing so?  I am running various
> tinderbox builds to check on port usage of the USE_PYTHON variable, and
> I noticed that devel/py-setuptools no longer builds if Python 2.4 is
> selected.
>
> I'd like to restore that capability, but before I send a PR, I wanted to
> check with you first.
>
> Thank you,
> Greg
> - --
> Greg Larkin
>
> http://www.FreeBSD.org/           - The Power To Serve
> http://www.sourcehosting.net/     - Ready. Set. Code.
> http://twitter.com/cpucycle/      - Follow you, follow me

I'm sorry for sail in, but i think that the reason is that python24 is
reached it's EOL long time ago. Actually the only supported python
releases atm according to python.org are - 2.7.2 and 3.2.1, and
developers highly encourages the users to move to this versions.

2.5 and 2.6 are in security-fix-only mode, there will be no ANY releases
for this branches after October 2011 and October 2013 respectively,
while 2.4 does not get security-fixes even.

There is also this answer from Martin in this pr:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/155526:

python24 goes to the end of month, this port is on the todo for removal

--
Regards,
Ruslan

Tinderboxing kills... the drives.