cvs commit: ports/mail/procmail Makefile

Matthias Andree mandree at FreeBSD.org
Tue Aug 30 12:08:29 UTC 2011

Am 30.08.2011 13:11, schrieb Kurt Jaeger:
> Hi!
>
>>>   Modified files:
>>>     mail/procmail        Makefile
> [...]
>> Now that you're maintaining it I seek you to please let this
>> unmaintained unclean code from our FreeBSD ports world and deprecate it.
> [...]
>> maildrop (courier's filtering agent) has been around for nearly as long
>> and works well.
>
> - Can maildrop be used with other MTAs like exim ?

Yes.

> - Can it use the 700+ lines long .procmailrc I have running
>   in a criticial application or do I have to migrate that ?

You'd have to migrate that.

On the other hand, a 700+ line long .procmailrc "in a critical
application" is usually a mistake in itself already and always was,
unless you're one of the few who has a recipe like

:0e
{
   EXITCODE=75
   HOST
}

after each and every single recipe that can fail in some way (most
importantly, delivering recipes).

Few people know it's necessary, as it's not explicitly documented, but
just working around documented fall-through behaviour -- and as a side
effect it voids the "else"-style recipes.

Beyond that, there are pending bug fixes that never made it into a
release, check the 3.23pre announcement at
<ftp://ftp.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/pub/packages/procmail/procmail-history.html>

Bottom line: the sooner we get rid from procmail the better.