Ports system quality

Michel Talon talon at lpthe.jussieu.fr
Tue Aug 30 09:14:27 UTC 2011

Chad Perrin wrote:

>Of course, your goal is apparently to
>convince me that yours are the "correct" priorities.

Indeed i think having the correct priorities is essential when choosing
between different options, and i am sincerely convinced that my choices
are shared by a lot more people than yours. For example, having "less
bloat" in the system doesn't even appear in the radar of most people.
I value much more that hardware is supported, that installation and
upgrade are easy, troubleless. Like everyone else i am irritated by
some developments in the Ubuntu experience, for example the parallel
booting stuff, which doesn't work well (but that people would like to
imitate in FreeBSD), but all those problems remain minor. A few days ago
i went to a store to buy a new laptop, i went with two CDROMs, an Ubuntu
one and a FreeBSD one. Guess which of the two supported the network
controllers in the laptops i tried?

--

Michel TALON