Ports system quality

Andriy Gapon avg at FreeBSD.org
Mon Aug 29 12:20:09 UTC 2011

on 29/08/2011 10:55 Michal Varga said the following:
> On Mon, 2011-08-29 at 00:17 -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
>> are unlikely to ever get to that point. I would also point out that from
>> a project management standpoint developers rarely make good QA people.
>> To do this right you really would want separate teams.
>
> As I said, that's not something that's in my power to change.
>
> In any case, it just leads (and always will lead) only to this outcome:
>
>> Those are good alternatives as well. I use FreeBSD as my desktop, but
>> it's painful, and I wouldn't do it at all if I didn't need to.
>
> Other OSes/projects, for some reason, are able to manage their
> maintainer base to much better results, and it shows. It can either be
> done here too, or the situation can be ignored for another five, ten
> years, until FreeBSD fades into obscurity, eventually getting known only
> as 'that OS where nothing works'. It's an issue that won't go away on
> its own.

Correct.
So what's your personal contribution towards fixing that issue?
E.g. finding out how "other OSes/projects, for some reason, are able to manage
their maintainer base to much better results" and teaching that to us would be a
great contribution.  There are many other ways to contribute as well.

--
Andriy Gapon