Any progress on updating boost?

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Mon Aug 29 10:08:40 UTC 2011

On 08/12/2011 04:07, Sunpoet Po-Chuan Hsieh wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 02, 2011 at 01:28:57PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
>> I notice that http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/156253
>> exists for the 1.46.1 update, however 1.47 is out since July 11. I'm
>> curious about whatever plans may exist to do the update ...
>
> Hello Doug,
>
> FYI, I have a patch for boost 1.47 at http://people.FreeBSD.org/~sunpoet/boost.patch
> Please try it. Thanks. :)

Ok, finally got to try this a bit. Minor bad news, your patch to
devel/boost-pyste no longer applies. More bad news, the new boost libs
have "issues."

I maintain 2 ports that use them, libtorrent-rasterbar and qbittorrent.
 So I first tried building your new versions of boost-jam and boost-libs
... no problems there. Then I ran my existing qbittorrent binary which
was compiled against 1.45, so far so good. The problems came when I
rebuilt those 2 against the new boost libs. qbittorrrent starts up Ok,
but then it ends up freezing solid, needing to be killed. On the console
I get a whole bunch of these:

WARNING pid 86327 (qbittorrent): ioctl sign-extension ioctl ffffffff8004667e

This is on recent 9-current amd64. The only boost OPTION I have enabled
is the one for optimized cflags.

hth,

Doug

			-- OK Go