How to handle upgrade of libnotify when cups-client-1.4.8 is marked as broken

Sahil Tandon sahil at FreeBSD.org
Sun Aug 28 19:30:51 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-08-28 at 15:22:34 -0400, Jerry wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 14:45:42 -0400
> Sahil Tandon articulated:
>
> > I am sorry users have had to "intervene" in managing their systems,
> > but rather than removing the option entirely, I prefer mandree@'s more
> > structural suggestion of re-prompting the user when defaults change.
> > In the meantime, a note in UPDATING about explicitly disabling the
> > GNUTLS option for cups ports is probably appropriate.  I have copied
> > the maintainer in hopes that he will consider it.
>
> Sahil, I think you are being a little to flippant regrading this
> problem.

I do not mean to be flippant, so if that is how my message came across,
I am sorry.

> Obviously any end user is responsible for maintaining his/her system.
> It is apparently that FreeBSD does not test updates as rigorously as
> other OSs might. Therefore, when the problem was first discovered in
> regards to "cups" and "GNUTLS" it is obviously that the end user would
> have to manually correct the problem.

Yes, a bit of manual intervention may be required, and for this
inconvenience there should have been something in UPDATING.

>  However, this is no longer day 0. The particulars of this case are
>  well know. IMHO, a notice should have been inserted into the UPDATING
>  file immediately -- in other words as soon as the phenomena was
>  confirmed. To allow the port to be shipped with a known problem
>  borders on criminal. At the very lest, it displays gross indifference
>  to the users of FreeBSD.

Criminal?  Indifference?  This sort of troll-ish hyperbole is decidedly
unhelpful.  I do agree that a note in UPDATING is appropriate.

> Nothing here is specifically blaming your for this problem. It takes
> more than one individual to screw things up this thoroughly. However,
> it takes only one person with a set of balls to get a solution
> implemented. The fact that you are actually going to wait for the
> maintainer the port in question to give his permission for you to
> issue a warning and hopefully a fix for this problem is pathetic.

Ah, more trolling.

> Seriously, and I don't mean any disrespect, but what government agency
> do you work for? :)

I don't work for a government agency, but cute attempt.

--
Sahil Tandon <sahil at FreeBSD.org>