portmaster -r vs. ports/UPDATING (was: libnotify)

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Thu Aug 25 08:58:07 UTC 2011

Am 24.08.2011 23:51, schrieb Doug Barton:
> On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 05:38:50 -0500
> ajtiM <lumiwa at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> My system:  FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p1
>>
>> I did:
>>
>>  portmaster -r libnotify-0.\*
>> libproxy-0.\* portmaster -a
>
> It's not clear to me exactly what you were trying to accomplish there,
> but a few notes ....
>
> The -r option can only be run for one port at a time.

Doug,

the user probably stuck to a ports/UPDATING entry, 20110823, written by
gnome@ (cc'd).

(Do we need to audit ports/UPDATING altogether for such misdirections?)

Perhaps this behaviour could change in a future version of portmaster,
in order to avoid rebuilding ports twice that depend on "both"...  I've
been longing for such a feature more than once and usually resorted to
"update just the ports, then figure out/update dependent ports with
pkg_libchk".