Libreoffice plan

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Wed Aug 24 10:13:44 UTC 2011

Hi all,

First of all I'd like to apologise about the mess with the update of
libreoffice 3.4, that lead us to the new policy about how to manage the
libreoffice ports.

 From now we will be more respectful of what upstream do, which mean we
will maintain two version of libreoffice, the legacy one (thanks crees
for adding it) currently 3.3.3 that I will upgrade soon to 3.3.4 and the
newer one currently the broken 3.4.2 which need fixes and will be
upgraded soon to 3.4.3.

As soon as 3.5 will be out the editors/libreoffice will follow that new
branch, and editors/libreoffice-legacy will become 3.4 which hopefully
will be stabilized at the time.

Concerning how we will maintain the port them self, we are working to
continue unbundling stuff from libreoffice, that should save some
compilation time for users.

You may have noticed some activity around hunspell/mythes/hyphen when
fixed libreoffice 3.4 will be able to use the local
dictionaries/hyphenation/thesaurus installed from ports, which mean you
will be able to have the ${randomlang} dictionaries just by installing
the concerned ports without having to rebuild a new LOCALIZED_LANG
version of libreoffice. thanks sunpoet for the work he has done, and is
still doing on that area.

pgj has also been working a lot on libreoffice, he added the ability to
built the sdk, and has done a great job concerning the l10n.

libreoffice as openoffice are difficult ports to maintain, to not
hesitate to join the office@ team to help, test, discuss about the
office related task.

regards,
Bapt