sysutils/diskcheckd needs fixing and a maintainer

perryh at pluto.rain.com perryh at pluto.rain.com
Sun Aug 21 00:14:19 UTC 2011

Chris Rees <utisoft at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it logging to syslog?

I haven't seen anything in /var/log/messages or on ttyv0, but
this may be a matter of configuration rather than a problem with
diskcheckd.

* I'm running diskcheckd as a normal user, not as root.  (The user
  is in the operator group and does have read access to the disks.
  There's no obvious reason to give diskcheckd full root access
  since it does not need -- and should not be allowed -- to write
  to the disks.)

* diskcheckd passes LOG_CONS|LOG_PID, and LOG_DAEMON, to openlog(3),
  and -- for the one message that should actually be logged absent
  failures -- LOG_INFO to syslog(3).

* My syslog configuration is whatever 8.1-RELEASE provides as
  shipped.

I have not tried to figure out whether that combination _should_
produce anything in /var/log/messages or on ttyv0.

> Also, would you be happy to take maintainership of this port?

Not at this point, given that I would be taking on maintainance
not only of the "port" but also of the application itself.  I'm
not at all sure that I understand it well enough for that, yet.
(So far I have built it, read _part_ of the code, hacked in some
additional debug, and run it :)