[Request for Comments] Adding a JAILED meta-variable to bsd.port.mk

Glen Barber gjb at FreeBSD.org
Sat Aug 20 13:43:49 UTC 2011

On 8/20/11 8:44 AM, Kostik Belousov wrote:
>> One thing I can think of off-hand to fix this in that case is setting a
>> local environment variable to disable a check for security.jail.jailed.
>>  Would this be an ok solution for those cases?  If not, I happily agree
>> that this change should not be made then.
>>
>> I have an updated patch to bsd.port.mk that looks for a local
>> environment variable, PKGJAIL - if it is set, then JAILED is unset.
>> Would this be acceptable?
> The change would require user to do a configuration for a thing that
> previously just worked. What is the point ?

I suppose the specific problem I am trying to solve is a case where a
user builds a port within a jail with the expectation that the port will
in fact run within the jail with little or no changes.  Perhaps
security/sshguard-pf and databases/postgresql*-server are not the most
ideal examples of where this would be relevant.

I agree that a configuration change for something that worked before is
not the best solution.  So, I retract this change proposal.

Again, thank you for the feedback and pointing out that this would have
had negative impact on those using jails for package building.

Regards,

Glen

--
Glen Barber | gjb at FreeBSD.org