PREFIX is not honored for dependencies

Boris Samorodov bsam at ipt.ru
Sat Aug 6 08:57:58 UTC 2011

On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 22:41:48 +0000 Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Aug 2011 15:08:53 -0700, Steve Kargl wrote:
> > As root, I did
> >
> > mkdir -p /usr/opt
> > ln -s /usr/opt /opt
> > cd /usr/ports/editors/libreoffice
> > make PREFIX=/opt/
> >
> > The above builds and installs dependencies along the
> > way under the /opt/ heirarchy.  The first few are
> >
> > cppunit-1.12.1
> > mdbtools-0.5_14
> > boost-libs-1.45.0_1
> >
> > The build finally dies with qt4-moc, because it does not
> > honor PREFIX.  I've attempted to work around the QT4 issue
> > by patching its Makefile.  So, I restart a build
> >
> > make clean
> > make PREFIX=/opt/
> >
> > This eventually dies with
> >
> > ===>  Installing for cppunit-1.12.1
> > ===>   Generating temporary packing list
> > ===>  Checking if devel/cppunit already installed
> > ===>   cppunit-1.12.1 is already installed
> >       You may wish to ``make deinstall'' and install this port again
> >       by ``make reinstall'' to upgrade it properly.
> >       If you really wish to overwrite the old port of devel/cppunit
> >       without deleting it first, set the variable
> > "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER"
> >       in your environment or the "make install" command line.
> >
> > Of course, cppunit-1.12.1 is installed!  The initial build
> > in libreoffice installed it before qt4-moc crooked.
> >
> > Please fix.

> There is nothing to fix, this is the way ports are expected to work.

Are you sure? IMHO if PREFIX is defined before installing any port
and never gets changed than all ports should respect PREFIX.

> Playing with PREFIX != LOCALBASE has to be done with care because it
> can lead to some breakage as this one.

Steve, did you define a new PREFIX before installing *any* port at the
system in question? There should be the fore-mentioned problem if one
*change* PREFIX after installing some ports.

BTW, QAT was used to do experimental runs with non-default PREFIX.
Those reports were very useful.

--
WBR, bsam