xfce 4 question

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Thu Aug 4 02:54:03 UTC 2011

On 07/31/2011 14:08, Doug Barton wrote:
> On 07/31/2011 07:08, Olivier Duchateau wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> 2011/7/31, Doug Barton <dougb at freebsd.org>:
>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> I decided to do my perennial "try other window managers" thing and the
>>> new version of xfce won the lottery. Congratulations. :)
>>>
>>> So I have a question ... on the desktop there are 2 icons, "Home" and
>>> "File System" that are giving errors:
>>>

>> It's odd, I have three icons on desktop:
>> - File System
>> - Trash
>
> I don't have the Trash icon at all.
>
>>> The folder could not be opened
>>> The name org.xfce.FileManager was
>>> not provided by any .service files.
>>>

>> I don't understand, how did you install Xfce core ?
>
> With portmaster of course. :)  I am wondering though, did you build with
> dbus support, and are you running dbus? I did neither, and from my
> searching it seems that it might be relevant.

Following up a bit, adding dbus makes the Home and File System icons
work, but there was still no Trash icon. The solution to that involved
building Thunar with gvfs (although I disabled all the OPTIONS) and
changing the way that I start xfce. I use slim, which apparently has
some "issues" with consolekit. So instead of using xfce4-session to
start it I need to use 'ck-launch-session startxfce4'. Now everything
desktop-wise is functioning as it should.

However this has lead to a new issue, the restart and shutdown icons are
greyed out when I click the "log out" menu item. I noticed that there is
a mention of this issue in the xfce4-session pkg-message, but it's not
clear to me what the file name should be. Just .pkla doesn't seem to do
it. Also, if I'm in group wheel, shouldn't that be sufficient to list as
the group? And if so, would installing a file that does that by default
be useful?

Thanks,

Doug

			-- OK Go